This article is the first of a three part ‘Introduction to Yoga’ series, which has been written by the Panache Sports team based on advice given by Ryan James Yoga.
Over seventy-five scientific trials have been published on yoga in major medical journals. These studies have shown that yoga is a safe and effective way to increase physical activity that also has psychological benefits due to its meditative nature.
Here are 12 scientifically proven benefits of yoga:
- Increases flexibility and agility
- Promotes better balance
- Increases feelings of wellbeing and improves body image
- Regulates blood pressure (hypertension)
- Reduces pain that is caused by Chronic Back Problems, Arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and osteoporosis
- Helps relieve depression
- Reduces stress
- Reduces tension, anxiety, and worry
- Helps relieve premenstrual and menopausal symptoms
- Benefits heart and increases cardiovascular function
- Increases immunological and digestive function
- Elicits the relaxation response
Yoga practice has many other advantages that have not yet systematically studied. These include weight loss, help with eating disorders, better sleep, more energy, heightened awareness, increased capacity of empathy, and regulation of brain waves.
Ryan James has been practicing yoga for over 10 years and in 2011 he took a teacher training course. After qualifying he travelled to India to study Yoga on a deeper level, training in the Ashtanga and Iyengar method and also studying Yoga Philosophy. Ryan now teaches Yoga at Loughborough University and at various venues around the midlands. You can connect to Ryan and find a class schedule on facebook by clicking here or connect to Ryan through Twitter here.